Looks great from the photo's

Sunday 11 September 2011

Packing

No, I'm not packing for the trip already, but seeing how much I can fit into my bags.  Like I have said before, I want to travel extra-lite as I won't be camping, I am not going to need all the paraphernalia which goes with it.  I have a rough list of the stuff I want to take, or think I am going to need; see below:




Bike Bits:
Cleats, brand new on shoes, one packet back up
Multi tool
Pump with pressure gauge
2x spare inner tubes
1x spare tire
1x Puncture repair kit
Tire levers
1x spare brake pads
1x spare brake/gear cable
2x water bottles
New cycle computer
Lights
Spare spokes sized for your bike’s wheels - NO
Energy drink? - NO
Gels? - NO
Foods? - NO


Clothes:
Black gore text coat – needs new spray or covering put on to make waterproof again
Red Gore jacket, detachable sleeves
Helmet – new
Glasses
Bike shoes
Lycra kits – 4?  One to wear, 3 next day/wash
Cycling socks 4
Camping trousers/Shorts for town
Leggings
Fingerless gloves – new
Windproof gloves
HH skin tops
t-shirts x1, post some to locations
Pants socks
Fleece hat
Baseball cap?
Small trainer things, my Nikes J
Swim trunks
jumper - NO


Other bits:
Adventure Cycling Maps.
Compass
Mosquito spray later on
Dog spray – “Halt”
Iphone
iPod
Camera
Chargers
Adapters
first aid kit
Leatherman
Plastic emergency gloves
toiletries
sunscreen
Bog roll
Sanitizer spray
plane ticket
visa
wallet
passport
tickets
money
pen
Duct tape ??
bag
bag cover
bike box

One of my bags holds 22ltrs and the other is 35+8.  I filled up the smaller bag with spare cycling kit left over and none of the "other bits".  This weighed in at 10lbs.  Using the same kit, I filled up the larger bag to the brim without using the side compartments nor the top flap.  The problem here is that just that weighed in at 10.5lbs and I hadn't again, added all the "other bits".

I ride to work with a rucksack each day, but I have no idea what it is going to be like to be carrying on my back/shoulders, 10lbs every day for 4252miles!  I will have a small saddle bag such as the "Altura Trail Velcro Expanding Seatpack".  I've not seen how much this holds, and not found any reviews on what you can fit in, but I would say at least 2 inner tubes, tools, puncture repair kits and a Leatherman easily.  Price, about £14.  I would also need a handlebar bag for easy reading of the maps.  For this, I've quickly found the "Topeak DryBag Handlebar Bag", "Altura Orkney Bar Bag" and the "CarraDura handlebar bag".  They are priced around the £50 mark and hold 7.5ltr, 7ltr and 6ltr.  Just read some bad reviews on the Altura though, so would have to research all before buying.  So, I could lose 7ltrs from my back, whatever that would be in weight, so that's good. 

But why don't you use panniers like everyone else?  You could fit much more in and not have the weight on your back.  Well, (this sounds more redundant now what with the amounts of weight on my back), I want to enjoy the feel of the bike, taking the corners and downhill's at speed.  I love my bike and the way I can throw it around, rushing down hills at 45mph+.  Panniers wouldn't improve the look of the bike!  (oh dear!).  Perhaps I should not say any more on the matter as I can see what debate this could open up.  I've attached some pics of the bags I was testing and what I thought I should take with me, minus a few things I didn't have to hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment