Looks great from the photo's

Monday 12 September 2011

Accommodation

I had originally thought it would be best if I arranged my trip down to the last mile. I wanted to alternate booking motels/hotels etc now, with warmshowers
stay overs, so that everything wad guaranteed, especially as I'm taking no camping gear After reading more and more blogs, I'm not too sure if that's best. If I hit bad weather and can't safely cycle, that will throw the itinerary into disarray. Also if ill, or have a great cycle day and want to push on. Need to find out if motels etc need booking way in advance or not.



- Posted from my iPhone

2 comments:

  1. I agree that its a dangerous tactic to arrange too much in advance. In my opinion part of what makes cycle touring what it is is the flexibility and lack of advance planning. Take that away and you lose a key ingredient of the 'true' cycle tour!

    My experience was that the only places you definitely needed to book well in advance were the national parks (e.g. Yellowstone). Pretty much everywhere else seemed to have spaces on the day (although we almost had trouble in Pittsburg, Kansas, as all the motels were full of people displaced from Joplin following the tornado there!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, maybe I should just keep a list of tep 5 places per town along the route, which are possible stay-overs. That way I know which ones are ok, and which one's are flea pits! Though, I don't want to be stuck without anywhere due to no camping equipment. Fingers crossed for no tornados then!

    Could always paint my cycling shoes red and click them together 3times if I do get stuck

    ReplyDelete